Saturday, January 5, 2019

New Painting, "First Sermon", Henry Clay Morrison at Johnson's Chapel, Casey County, Kentucky.



New Painting, First Sermon, 16x20, oil on canvas, by Gary Bewley, for Morrison Park.  In 1878, Morrison, recently licensed to preach was given his first assignment to travel from Perryville Ky. , over the knobs to Casey county, along the Rolling Fork River to preach his first sermon at Johnson's Chapel. He arrived the day before spending the night at the home of State Representative William Green Johnson, who built the church in mid 1800's. Morrison wrote, "Sabbath morning I went up in the field where there was a great rock covered with bushes and grapevines, and I prayed earnestly for help. I cannot remember positively what my text was, but I had Liberty, told my experience, exhorted the people. Everybody was in tears. I went to Brother Johnson's for dinner. Someone said "Everybody in our church wept while you preached and told your experience." Coming back, Morrison preached at Sycamore Methodist Church Sunday afternoon.

   



No comments: